Pages

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

I love to run, and other lies I tell myself daily

I don't love running.  At all.  To put it bluntly, it sucks.  I've never felt the runner's high that I hear running junkies talk about, I've never gotten so into a run that I have forgotten that I was even doing it.  I am always painfully aware that I am running, with ever pounding step.  So, why in the the world do I keep doing it?  Excellent question.

I have a mantra.  I repeat this mantra to myself when I am doing something that is not easy.  I have repeated this mantra to my kids ad nauseum when they are complaining about something that they perceive as "the most difficult thing in the world".  I have pinned this mantra on Pinterest.  

"Nothing worth doing is easy."

I believe this with all of my heart, and I think this is why I continue to pound the pavement and trails despite the dirty secret that I carry, which is that I really don't enjoy running.  Of course, this applies to so many things in life.  And I guess running truly is a metaphor for life (sorry for the Oprah reference).  You have to learn to pace yourself, work through the pain, trudge up the hills, and enjoy the downhills.  You have to find the physical and mental strength to carry on.

I don't think I will ever love to run.  I won't love it like some of the people I know who run like the wind, who forget they are running, who experience euphoria when they hit that sweet spot in the middle of their workout.  I will always be completely aware that I am running and, for good or for bad, it will keep me moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment